A message appears when attempting to open QuickBooks Desktop:
This version of QuickBooks requires Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 (or later).
Why this is happening
The message can appear for either of the following reasons:
- Internet Explorer is turned off in the Turn Windows features on or off.
- The version of Internet Explorer installed on the computer is earlier than version 6.0.
- There is an incorrect Windows registry key.
How to fix it
You can find Internet Explorer on your Desktop, Start menu or All Programs. If you can't find it from any of these places, Internet Explorer might be turned off.
Step 1: Turn windows feature on/off
- On your keyboard, press + R to open the Run window.
- Type in Control Panel and click OK.
- Click Programs and Features and select Turn Windows Feature On or Off.
- Scroll down, find and select the box for Internet Explorer X (where X is 6 pr later).
- Click OK< to close Turn Windows Feature On or Off.
Note:You will be prompted to reboot your computer to apply the changes.
Step 2: Verify the version of Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer.
- From the Help menu, select About Internet Explorer.
Note: If Help is not available on your IE, press the Alt key once to show the hidden menu.
- The first characters of the version number must be 6.0 or higher.
- If the installed version of IE is earlier that 6.0, download and install a newer version from Microsoft Download Center
- If the IE version is 6.0 or later, proceed to he next section.
QuickBooks Desktop is looking for the following registry keys and values. Edit as necessary with the help of a specialist in this field.
- Registry Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer Value: Version = Version number entered must be greater than 6.0
Registry Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\Iexplore.exe
Value: (Default) = C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (or any valid path to iexplore.exe)
Location: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (Year)
- Right click the qbw.ini file and select Open With.
- Choose Notepad and click OK.
- Locate the [Misc] section of the qbw.ini file. If the section does not exist, add it to the bottom of the file.
- Enter IEVersionOverride=600 below the [Misc] section heading on a new line.
- From the File menu, select Save and close Notepad.