QuickBooks Search not working with latest version of Google Desktop
You are trying to search inside QuickBooks using QuickBooks Search but are not getting any results, even after QuickBooks reports indexing has finished.
Note: Starting with QuickBooks 2010, QuickBooks Search with Google Desktop is no longer a feature in the program.
Why this is happening
You have downloaded the newest version of Google Desktop and installed it on the machine you are running QuickBooks on. This version, although compatible with our QuickBooks Google Desktop plug-in, has a new option called Content Indexing (on Windows XP) or Enhanced Content Indexing (on Windows Vista). If this option is turned off, QuickBooks Search will not work.
This can also happen if you are using QuickBooks 2007 or 2008 on the 64-bit version of Windows 7.
How to fix it
Turn on (Enhanced) Content Indexing:
- Right-click on the Google Desktop icon in your Icon Tray and select About.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the web page and verify the version number is 5.7.0806.10245.
Note: If the number is 5.1.0707.23222 instead, you have the version installed by QuickBooks, the Search should be working, and the following steps will not work.
- Scroll back to the top and click on Desktop Preferences.
- The first option presented should be (Enhanced) Content Indexing. Turn the option on by clicking on the checkbox.
- Click on the Save Preferences button in the top right or bottom right.
- Return to QuickBooks and QuickBooks search will be working again.
Important: You may have to wait until QuickBooks completes the reindexing of your company file.
Note: A new search feature similar to Google Desktop version is integrated into QuickBooks 2011 and Enterprise Solutions 11.0. This feature helps you quickly locate information in your QuickBooks company file and does not require separate installation.
If this solution does not resolve the issue, you can read discussions and post messages and questions relating to your issue on the Intuit QuickBooks Community site for free, or you can contact a technical support agent for additional guidance. Fees may apply.