Occasionally, QuickBooks Desktop may not run properly due to an issue with MSXML. If this is the case, it is advisable to repair MSXML.
How to fix it
- Press the Windows button and enter cmd.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator from the bottom of the screen.
- Type regsvr32 MSXML4.dll, and press the Enter key. You should see a message saying "DllRegisterServer in msxml4.dll succeeded". Click OK.
Note: if MSXML 4.dll fails to register you may need to temporarily turn off User Account Control (UAC). Be sure to turn it back on when you're done.
- Type regsvr32 MSXML6.dll, and press the Enter key. You should see a message saying "DllRegisterServer in msxml4.dll succeeded". Click OK.
- Try starting QuickBooks Desktop again.
Windows 10/8/7 and Vista
- Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel.
- Windows 7/Vista: Click Uninstall a program.
- In the list of programs, find MSXML 4.0.
- If there are several entries, they will need to be uninstalled in order of newest to oldest:
- Find the one with the highest SP number. (SP3 is newer than SP2)
- Next, find the one with the highest KB number and select it. (KB973685 is newer than KB954430)
- Click Uninstall to remove that component. Do the same for the next newest entry:
- Download the msxml.msi file from Microsoft. Save the file to your desktop.
- Windows 7/Vista: Once the file has been saved, right-click the msxml.msi file and select Run as Administrator.