I am using QBpro 2005, it has been running fine for 12 months but now when I launch the program I get an error message !szFileBuffer.empty() followed by a Visual C++ runtime error message. Have tried cleaning the registry and checked for viruses but no change. I have read elsewhere Intuit are aware of this problem but have no fix, anybody else had the same problem or got a fix.
The C++ Runtime error is a generic error code which can occur as a result of either an application or system related issue.
Please feel free to call QuickBooks technical support if you wish to follow the process with a support representative (see step 15 for contact details).
Please try the following fixes to resolve the error:-
1. Locate and launch the QuickBooks sample file C:Program FilesIntuitQuickBooksGrangeworth Kitchens Basic.QBW
2. If the Sample file opens successfully, there is a possibility that your Company File is damaged and needs to be rebuilt externally.
3. If you are unable to open the Sample file, QuickBooks should be reinstalled.
4. Before reinstallation, ensure that you have the following:-
4.1. QuickBooks installation CD
4.2. Check that the installation CD is the same version of QuickBooks which you currently have installed.
4.3. Ensure that you also have the correct Installation Key Code
5. Create a New Folder named Â‘QuickBooks data filesÂ’ on your Desktop; place all QuickBooks working files (files ending in .qbw and .qbb) into this folder.
6. Launch a search via the start menu (Start/Search) for files containing the term Â‘IntuitÂ’ (QuickBooksÂ’ manufacturer), delete all Intuit files.
7. Launch a new search for files containing the term Â‘IntuitÂ’; there should be no files found Â‘No Results to displayÂ’.
8. Insert the QuickBooks installation CD. If a setup dialogue box asks you to install the software, select cancel.
9. Create another New Folder on the Desktop named Â‘QuickBooks SetupÂ’.
10. Browse the CD drive; copy the contents of the QuickBooks CD, into the Â“QuickBooks SetupÂ” folder on the desktop.
11. Re start the machine in Safe Mode.
12. Run the setup.exe from the Â“QuickBooks setupÂ” folder on the desktop to install QuickBooks.
13. Once the software is installed, go to the File menu and select Â‘Update QuickBooksÂ’ to ensure you have all of the most recent updates available (a restart is required after updates)
14. Having restarted the machine, try re-opening your Company file.
15. If the issue is still outstanding, please contact our Customer Service Centre on +44 (0) 845 606 2161, please select option 3 for QuickBooks technical support and we'll try and help you out over the phone.
and you will find more links to the forum
but here’s your solution:
find the file: C:\WINDOWS\Intuit\shared\vertical
and copy the contents into the other .dat files (those that are empty or corrupted)
1.search local disk-find
5.open all 3 .dat files
select the one with the numeric string (in my case it was ‘vertical’)
copy the string and put into the other
.dat files which are empty
save the file
repeat for each empty .dat file
6.close files, then go and open QB application
p.s. to open .dat file, you will need to use any text editor such as notepad,word,etc.